Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Analysis of Finished Video-Mise en Scene

Mise en scene means "what is in the frame" and what is usually in the frame is settings and props, lighting and colour, body language and facial expression, costume hair and makeup and positioning within the frame.

With settings and props I had always wanted the setting to be in Central Park as this was the best place to capture what I wanted in the music video. Central Park has a lot of trees and open space and I thought that this would help show the emotions of the characters the distance between the two. I also think that it helped me as I was lipsyncing the scenery helped show that I looked the part for the music video. I think that the park also has a sense a peace and quiet making a good place for both the man and women to discuss there situation as there are not many people at the park so people will not see them arguing in the park. The narrative takes place in a particular in central park where they are coloured benches and this way used to show flashbacks of when they where a happy couple and had a healthy relationship, i also used this place to show there present status that it is not a happy relationship anymore and that they are having problems.

There is not so many facial expressions shown close up except when the male character shows a face of shock and anger at the same when he sees his girlfriend with another man. When they are flashbacks shown the facial expressions of the characters are face of joy and happiness as they are happy with one another. The facial expression of the the man that was talking with the girl while being interrupted by the girl is confusion as he has no idea what is going on and is simply confused, body language is also is seen in my music video. When the two are seen arguing by the bench their body expressions are that they are both becoming annoyed with each other and fed up with each other. Body expressions help show how characters are feeling at that moment in time.

Positioning of characters in frame
The various ways to use positioning of characters or objects with a frame wheter doing a music video doing an actual movie. For example a moving body or object placed against a stationary background will immediately draw our attention as it would in real life. In my music video I used postioning of characters to indicate the current status of the relationship between the two. When they are seen arguing on the bench at this point they are positioned close together to show the physical anger between the two and are late seen not talking to each other looking away from each from each other from two ends of the bench showing the distance between the two.

Colour

The colour in the music video changes as the music video progresses a good of the changes of colour is the scene where the two are arguing by the yellow bench. The scene where they were arguing was a bit long and was suggested that I add colours to it to give different effects, at one point the colour changes to green and this was used to show envy and also changes to red to show anger but love at the same time. I used the colour red a few times in the music video to give the same effect of love and war when he notices his girlfriend with another man and right afterwards when he confronts her about what is going on. Black and white colours where also used to show flash backs of when they where both happy and in love in their relationship.

Special effects
When I had intially finished the editing of my video it was seen as having too long of shots where nothing exciting was happening on screen, just the narrative so I had to add special effects to the music video to make it look more attractive. One of the effects I used in the music video was an effect known as a "push" where it moves one out of the frame and brings in another and was used to help the narrative of the story. Other effects that where used was on me the lipsyncer and was an effect called "N-Square" and basically made mutiple pictures of me lipsyncing this was not intended to help the narrative of the music video but rather to make me look interesting on screen and make me look the part. Other effects where also used to give the same effect of the N square as well.